Mr. E. Watson Smith
Of Counsel -
- 1965, Alabama State Bar
- Court admissions
- 1970, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- 1971, U.S. Supreme Court
- 1975, U.S. Tax Court
- 1981, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- LL.M., Taxation, New York University, 1962
- LL.B., Duke University, 1965
- B.S., Auburn University, 1962
Honors and Awards:
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers of America in the field of Tax Law, 1987-present; Health Care Law 1991-2007
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, since 1983
- Member, Alabama Law Institute
- Member, Alabama State Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Trustees of the American Institution on Federal Taxation, 1977 to 2007
- Member, Mobile County Bar Association
- Representative Lending Experience
- Provides tax advice and planning to a number of business and non-profit corporations, professional corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships and trusts.
- Provided tax and other legal advice to several local and Southwest Alabama-based foundations, including the formation of foundations, providing advice relating to charitable gifts and donations, and regular advice as counsel to a foundation having assets of approximately $40 million.
- Obtained tax-exempt status for many health care organizations and other institutions.
- Represented taxpayers in tax litigation in the U.S. Tax Court and Federal District Court.
- Handled a number of mergers and acquisitions including transactions ranging from $20 million to $50 million.
- Advised tax-exempt organizations with respect to the issuance of tax-exempt bonds, including bond issues up to $100 million.
- Served as outside general counsel for a number of local corporations.
- Employee Benefits (ERISA)
- Drafts qualified retirement plans (pension, profit sharing, 401(k) and 403(b) plans), cafeteria plans, and other welfare benefit plans.
- Provides ongoing advice as to the operation and administration of these plans.
- Obtains tax-exempt determination letters for many qualified retirement plans.
- Health Care and Hospital Law
- Acts as counsel for a number of hospitals and other healthcare organizations, including serving as in-house general counsel for a large integrated health care system.
- Provides ongoing advice in numerous areas relating to hospital and tax law for these healthcare organizations.
- Provided advice in connection with the acquisition of a large number of physician practices.