Banking and Finance Law
Johnstone Adams’ banking, finance and creditor’s rights lawyers assist commercial clients with obtaining financing and banking clients with debt recovery litigation. Our attorneys are seasoned creditors’ rights advocates who work with our clients to determine how aggressive their strategy should be in order to meet their goals. We also represent trust departments, handle banking operational matters and defend lender liability cases. Our practice spans Alabama, Mississippi and Florida.
Today’s financial markets are extremely volatile, which translates into increased restrictions for commercial borrowers. Having seasoned, experienced senior attorneys who understand market fluctuations and its impact on both borrowers and lenders, and have the know-how to assist commercial clients to obtain the loan packages they need to get the job done. To date, our experience includes loan packages valued at up to $20 million. We are also qualified to handle SBA loans.
Our special assets and lender liability defense clients include large regional banks, regional lenders loan servicing companies and private equity portfolio purchasers. Our clients, including Regions Bank, PNC, Trustmark Bank, Hancock Bank, Capital Crossing Servicing Co., and Coastal Bank & Trust, appreciate our banking and finance attorneys who bring decades of experience to the table and provide one point of contact with the ability to cross state lines.
CAN HELP YOU?
Snapshot of Strengths
Our wealth of experience means we don’t need to recreate the wheel. We have analyzed the necessary documents many times over and know how to quickly ascertain what’s missing. Our practice includes:
Commercial loan workouts
Special assets litigation
Bankruptcy – borrower filing bankruptcy
Lender liability defense
Inventory secured loans
Working capital loans
SBA 7(a) and 504 program loans
Preferred ship mortgages
Municipal and industrial bonds
Letters of credit
International business transactions
Lender liability for federal withholding taxes of borrowers
Lender liability for environmental law violations by borrowers
Lender liability in commercial transactions
Mortgage escrow account practices
Article 3, 4 and 9A issues
Finding the Funds
Whether you need financing for your next venture, your assets recovered or defense in a lender liability matter, experienced counsel who are immediately responsive is a priority. Johnstone Adams banking and finance attorneys are well prepared to assist, advocate and advise. We are effective navigators of today’s complex financial markets, and our partners will work closely with you to achieve your commercial finance goals.
- Represented numerous lending institutions in closing SBA 504 and 7(a) program loans.
- Assisted a regional bank in closing more than $125 million in condominium construction loans.
- On behalf of a regional bank, we handled various Article 3, 4 and 9A issues.
- Helped a regional bank in preferred ship mortgage financing and recovery of collateral.
- Represented an institutional lender in an eight-state, multi-complex industrial loan package totaling more than $40 million.
- Aided a lender in closing agribusiness loans on poultry growing units and processing plants with loans totaling approximately $22 million.
- Litigated on behalf of an institutional lender in a suit against an architect and a foundations contractor regarding negligent construction of a commercial office complex in recovering in excess of $1 million.
- Represented large national bank affiliates in defending three loan fraud cases.
- Represented a large regional bank in defending five lender liability tax cases.
- Assisted a regional bank in takeover litigation.
- Represented a large regional bank in defending two forgery matters.
- Recovery of a claim against the United States government on behalf of a regional bank on a letter of credit.
- Represented national and regional lenders in the defense of numerous consumer class actions involving residential real estate escrow charges, insurance sales practices, residential real estate mortgage discounts, banking industry checking account practices and credit life insurance.
- Assisted secured institutional lenders in numerous litigated bankruptcy proceedings to obtain a stay relief for our client.
- Served an institutional lender in obtaining possession of a golf course and the adjacent subdivision in litigated bankruptcy proceeding, including obtaining recovery from an individual guarantor in excess of $1 million.
- Helped a secured lender obtain a judicial foreclosure on a high rise hotel and obtain a deficiency judgment against a guarantor of more than $3 million.
- Represented an institutional lender in litigation against a general contractor and a condominium developer resulting in possession for our lender clients and credits against the general contractor for defective workmanship.
- Advocated on behalf of a regional lending institution before Congress to obtain Congressional Reference legislation enabling the lender to proceed against the federal government in the U.S. Claims Court.
- Represented a regional lender in the recovery of $1.2 million in cash collateral through a bankruptcy court proceeding.
- Assisted a regional bank in connection with objections to various Chapter 11 Plans of Reorganization.
- Representation of institutional lender in defending claims brought by beneficiaries of medical trust.
- Facilitated the recovery of more than $600,000 in collateral from another creditor of a debtor together with a settlement of an alter ego claim in excess of $300,000 on behalf of our institutional lender client.
- Represented a regional bank in a lender liability fraud action.
What Our Clients are Saying
“Johnstone Adams was a great help when it came to drawing up our family’s will and advanced directives prior to the birth of our first son. These are certainly things that no one wants to think about, but the process was easy. They were professional and knowledgeable, answering all of our questions along the way with compassion and sensitivity. Johnstone Adams responded quickly to any questions and was easy to get in touch with! We would highly recommend them for any legal work!!”
“My wife and I approached Johnstone Adams to help us make a better informed decision regarding her immigration. They have been a truly invaluable asset. They brought their knowledge, experience, confidence, and calm demeanor to the process, which put our minds at ease. The worry and anxiety that we were facing melted away, and we have been, literally, hand-held during this daunting process. We can’t thank or recommend Johnstone Adams enough and look forward to continuing to use their services in the future.”
“I am currently using this law firm and they are informative, keeping me up to date with my case, and they return your calls/emails immediately. I am very satisfied.”