Applying for U.S. Citizenship: A Guide to Documents You Need

It’s no secret that the process of obtaining U.S. citizenship can be long and complicated. What you might not be expecting is the amount of paperwork you need to submit. The N-400 application for naturalization requires a number of supporting documents – that all need to be submitted accurately to have your application reviewed.

Take a closer look at the list of documents you may need to submit with your N-400 application when applying for U.S. citizenship.

What To Send With Your N-400 Application

First, before you get into the nitty-gritty of your naturalization application, you need to submit three items with your form.

  • You need to send a photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card.
  • Include a check or money order for the application and biometric service fees. You can also pay with a credit card by using the G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transaction form.
  • For those applicants living outside of the United States, you will also need to submit two identical passport-style photographs with your name and Alien Registration Number written in pencil on the back.

Required Documentation

After gathering those initial items, you will then need to send additional documentation. The number of supporting documents you need to submit when applying for U.S. citizenship will vary by case, depending on your particular circumstances. Some potential documents you will need to provide include:

  • The original Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative, if you have an attorney representing you throughout your citizenship process.
  • Documents showing that you legally changed your name if your current legal name is different from the one on your Permanent Resident Card. This can include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document.
  • If you are applying for naturalization based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen for at least three years, you will need to provide copies of the following documents:
  • For your spouse you will need to provide a birth certificate (if they were born in the U.S.), a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, the inside cover of their U.S. passport, or Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S.
  • Your marriage license.
  • Proof of termination of any prior marriages your spouse had. This can include divorce decrees, annulments, or death certificates.

– Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (if applying for naturalization based on military service) – DD Form 214, NGB Form 22, or discharge orders (if applying for naturalization based on military service and separated from service)

– If you took a trip outside of the U.S. for more than six months, you need to submit proof that you continued to live, work, or keep ties to the U.S. Some documents you can provide include:

  • IRS tax return
  • Rent or mortgage payments

Why You Need an Immigration Attorney

As you can see, there is a lot of information required to even start applying for U.S. citizenship. You need an attorney to help you determine what documents to submit, and how to get them. A lawyer can also help you complete the necessary forms.

Why Hire Us When Applying for U.S. Citizenship

When you are applying for U.S. citizenship and need an immigration lawyer, let the experts at Johnstone Adams LLC represent you.

Our experienced immigration lawyers assist businesses and individuals with visas, I-9 forms and compliance, audits, and other immigration matters throughout Alabama, Mississippi, and the Florida panhandle. We provide each client with personal access to a team of senior lawyers who thoroughly understand the complex web of immigration laws and the enormous impact these laws can have on a person’s life or a business’s bottom line.

Ranked in the 2022 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” list regionally in 12 practice areas, we have experts in many areas of law to give our clients top-notch representation. In business for more than a century, our firm can mix its experience with the ability to evolve with the changing times.

To get started, use our online form or contact us at 844-682-7682 or

Font Resize