A construction litigation attorney understands that construction projects are complex, costly, and time-consuming. When materials don’t arrive on schedule, the contract isn’t honored, payment isn’t made, or the work is defective, it can leave you reeling while you search for answers and compensation.
Fortunately, you can hire a construction attorney to represent your company. A construction litigation attorney at Johnstone Adams gets the job done right. We have comprehensive resources, including a stable of expert consultants. This, combined with our abundant experience in construction law, has positioned us as one of the leading legal services providers for the construction industry in Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and along the I-10 Gulf Coast corridor.
Our construction litigation lawyers’ expertise and experience covers:
- Marine construction
- Contract drafting and review
- Contract disputes
- Architectural and engineering design claims
- Insured defense
- Construction delays
- Liquidated damages
- Design defects
- Change orders
- Retainage issues
- Arbitration and mediation
Whom Our Construction Lawyers Help
A construction litigation attorney at Johnstone Adams provides legal expertise to all players in the construction industry involved in both private and public projects. Our clients include general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, developers, owners, construction lenders, and shipbuilders.
We also provide legal advice to architects, engineers, banks, sureties, and insurance companies.
Why You Need a Construction Lawyer
Construction projects are complicated. Whether you are building a home or a commercial property, these projects can be stressful and expensive – not to mention dangerous.
Throughout the project, you might have disputes that require the assistance of a legal expert to resolve. From arguments over cost, quality, schedule, change orders, defects, damages, and even injuries, the list of potential disagreements that may need to be resolved is lengthy.
There is also usually a lot of money at stake in these disputes, which makes it essential to hire a qualified construction litigation attorney.
Contracts involving companies and independent contractors may call for resolution through mediation, arbitration, or a dispute review board. An experienced construction litigation attorney understands how to navigate these situations to reach the desired resolution.
Issues a Construction Litigation Attorney Can Help Resolve
A construction litigation attorney can be valuable to you for many reasons, but some of the more common include:
- Drafting and reviewing contracts: A lawyer can help draft a record of the agreed-upon terms including scope of work, payment, schedules, and other critical details of your project. The right contract can be invaluable if a dispute arises.
- Documentation of claims: Construction contracts are notoriously detailed about how claims that arise during a project are to be handled. A construction lawyer can guide you through the process and make sure a claim is documented properly and that timely and proper notice of the claim has been given.
- Filing and defending construction liens: A construction lawyer knows the lien laws, which are different from state to state. These laws contain filing and timing requirements that must be complied with, and there are many traps for the unwary. If you have a lien issue of any significance, you should contact a construction lawyer immediately.
- Employment issues: Was someone injured on the job? Were legal requirements met when hiring and terminating individuals? Were workers correctly classified as independent contractors? These issues can require legal expertise from a construction lawyer.
- Handle lawsuits: If your construction project gives rise to a dispute that cannot be resolved between the parties themselves, whether over missed deadlines, defective work, or more, it’s imperative to have an expert construction lawyer on your team to make your case in court.
What Is Construction Law?
Construction lawyers require knowledge in many legal areas. They must be well-versed in the law, experienced in the industry, and prepared to handle a variety of legal issues that may arise, since the construction industry intersects with many other business interests such as banking, taxes, and insurance, to name a few.
Environmental law often plays a role in larger builds to ensure wildlife and essential parts of nature are unharmed by the construction process and completed structure. A dispute between owners, contractors, and other parties can involve criminal law, bankruptcy law, tort law, insurance law, bond and lien law, and litigation. Additionally, our workers’ compensation and personal injury knowledge come into play if someone is injured while working on the project.
Johnstone Adams, LLC has a team of lawyers specializing in these services, making our law firm an excellent choice for representation throughout the construction process.
CONTACT A CONSTRUCTION LITIGATION ATTORNEY IN MOBILE
A construction litigation attorney understands the intricacies of building a new home, building, or large shopping center and we have successfully helped many clients pursue their real estate and construction goals. Contact our Mobile, Alabama office today at (844) 682-7682 or fill out our online contact form.