It’s vital that your workforce is fully functional. Our work on our clients’ employment, labor and workers’ compensation matters keep their personnel on track so the job is done and expectations are clear. Johnstone Adams’ employment attorneys advise clients on employee relations and contracts. We draft personnel policies and employee manuals and provide training on sexual harassment, FMLA, ADA, and employment policies and practices in general.
We have mastered the confusing maze of employment laws and regularly guide and protect clients in all areas of employment law, including non-compete and confidentiality agreements, the National Labor Relations Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Occupational Safety and Health Act, as well as state labor laws and common law tort claims.
We have experience with labor matters, Affordable Care Act compliance, terminating employees in a protected class, discrimination and harassment claims, union attacks and return to work issues.
Our workers’ compensation knowledge is comprehensive and specialized, which is an important consideration in a practice area where one size does not fit all. We defend all manner of workers’ compensation claims ranging from obtaining court approval of lump sum settlements to defending claims for permanent total disability benefits. We also defend against retaliatory discharge claims, co-employee claims and claims for the tort of outrage.
As part of our full-service employment practice, we provide counsel on ERISA, executive severance, and immigration matters from our attorneys specializing in these highly detailed areas of law.
CAN HELP YOU?
How We Can Help You?
Snapshot of Strengths
Our employment, labor and workers’ compensation attorneys provide the full range of services in this practice area. Strengths include:
Wage and hour litigation and class actions
National Labor Relations Act
Age Discrimination in Employment Act
Fair Labor Standards Act
Workers' compensation and retaliatory discharge
BEST LAWYERS - BEST LAW FIRMS AWARD 2022
Johnstone Adams is the right choice for your employment, labor and workers’ compensation legal needs. We take client service to the next level by forming strong relationships with our clients, visiting their offices, remaining available 24/7, and conducting yearly employment seminars.
We are seriously committed to our labor and employment clients and ensure we remain up to date on the latest and horizon issues, including same sex marriage matters, classifications for salaried employees, retirement benefits, increasing burdens on federal contractors, the Affordable Care Act, Defense of Marriage Act, and the FMLA.
We are very good at exploring all avenues of speedy and cost-effective resolution and are pleased with our documented successes on behalf of our clients. Call on Johnstone Adams to resolve your employment, labor and workers’ compensation issues. Let us assist in keeping your workforce functioning smoothly.
Practice Group Attorneys
- Represented a health-care client and its managers in defending against a termination/harassment case filed by a 20-year employee. Individual managers were dismissed early in the action and the employer was dismissed on summary judgment.
- Represented a hospital in cases alleging violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act by an employee suffering on-the-job injury and a companion workers’ compensation action. She was unable to return to her prior position and terminated when not placed in a different position within the leave of absence period. Motion for summary judgment was granted in favor of the employer. The case was appealed by the plaintiff to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals where summary judgment was affirmed. The companion workers’ compensation action also settled favorably.
- Represented a financial institution in defending an Equal Pay Act claim by a female manager who was paid a lower salary than the supervisor she succeeded. Summary judgment was granted for our client.
- Represented a national hotel chain in connection with a race discrimination claim filed by a terminated security guard; received a judgment for the employer after a trial on the merits.
- Represented a hospital in a pregnancy discrimination case brought by a nurse terminated when physical restrictions placed on her due to a pregnancy that prevented her from performing job. The plaintiff voluntarily dismissed the case in return for promise of neutral reference.
- Represented a group health plan in an action alleging age and sex discrimination by an employee denied a promotion; summary judgment was granted for the employer.
- Represented a retail client in a sexual harassment case; motion for summary judgment was granted in favor of the employer.
- Represented a retail client in a case alleging violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act by employee claiming employer failed to accommodate his requests for certain lunch breaks necessary in connection with his alleged condition of diabetes. Case settled for $500.00 while motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Represented an employer insurance company against Title VII and ADEA claims of age discrimination by a former district manager; summary judgment was granted by the District Court and affirmed by the 11th Circuit.
- Represented an employer paper mill against Title VII claims of sex discrimination and hostile work environment; the claim favorably settled prior to trial.
- Represented County School Board defending Title VII and §1981 and 1983 claims of reverse race discrimination. Case favorably settled during trial.
- Represented an employer defending a retaliatory discharge claim. Obtained jury verdict in favor of our client, and the verdict was affirmed by the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Represented a manufacturing client in a workers’ compensation action in which the plaintiff claimed permanent total disability arising from a neck injury allegedly resulting from repetitive action on a production line; received an award for the employer after bench trial. The plaintiff appealed the award to the Court of Civil Appeals, which affirmed the award for employer. The plaintiff further petitioned for certiorari with the Alabama Supreme Court where certiorari denied.
- Represented an employer in a pro-active measure to obtain court approval of mass lump sum settlements with approximately 150 employees suffering hearing loss in order to avoid the expense of anticipated separate litigation.
- Represented County Commission defending workers’ compensation claim of a former employee who was permanently disabled in a wreck involving a county dump truck; the case favorably settled prior to trial.
What Our Clients are Saying
“My husband and I were referred to Johnstone Adams in the spring of last year. We are working very closely with Jessica Welch and Greg Watts on an ongoing and unwanted family estate matter. Ms. Welch and Mr. Watts have been so professional and knowledgeable.
In addition, considering the nature of the suit, Jessica has provided my husband and I with a peace of mind we didn"t think was possible during this extremely stressful time of our lives. She is an amazing trial attorney. They have gone above and beyond. To sum it up, I have nothing but the utmost respect and appreciation for them. I would strongly reccomend either of them to my dearest friends and family members. I'm so thankful that we stumbled upon them. I'm actually going to miss Jessica Welch when this is all over.”
“I am currently using this law firm and they are informative, keeping me up to date with my case, and they return your calls/emails immediately. I am very satisfied.”
“My wife and I approached Johnstone Adams to help us make a better informed decision regarding her immigration. They have been a truly invaluable asset. They brought their knowledge, experience, confidence, and calm demeanor to the process, which put our minds at ease. The worry and anxiety that we were facing melted away, and we have been, literally, hand-held during this daunting process. We can’t thank or recommend Johnstone Adams enough and look forward to continuing to use their services in the future.”
“Johnstone Adams was a great help when it came to drawing up our family’s will and advanced directives prior to the birth of our first son. These are certainly things that no one wants to think about, but the process was easy. They were professional and knowledgeable, answering all of our questions along the way with compassion and sensitivity. Johnstone Adams responded quickly to any questions and was easy to get in touch with! We would highly recommend them for any legal work!!”
“Jessica’s advice and assistance with our family's interests in a probate matter was exceptional from beginning to end-- always thoughtful, responsive and efficient, and focused and timely.
It was a genuine pleasure for the doubtless incorrigibly demanding old lawyer that I am to have a professional of her outstanding caliber assisting me on this matter—both generally and in my role as executor in particular—in a jurisdiction unfamiliar to me and on a matter completely outside of my own experience and expertise.
I might also point out that she was really excellent in interfacing, always in a timely and solution-oriented manner, with other parties involved in our matter to help keep our initiatives on track—including attorneys dealing with the disposition of residential real estate and financial assets.
Jessica and her excellent assistant, Shelly Perrone, also offered and provided pragmatic and efficient solutions to logistical and execution issues made significantly more challenging than usual given the COVID-19 crisis and my own location far from Mobile-- in Paris, France.”
“I highly recommend attorney Rick La Trace. Aside from being professional, polite, and yet firm, Rick is a combination of knowledge, detail, and responsiveness. (In my opinion, there are very few professionals who have ALL three qualities. Rick is one of the very few.) What makes him stand apart from the rest, is that he takes the time to listen to his client's concerns (no matter how "trivial"). He educates client’s on how the law works, shares his opinions, including the pros and cons of each. We would definitely use Rick's services again, and highly recommend him for anyone who wants a lawyer that they can trust to thoroughly handle their case from start to finish, even down to the small details. You can tell from working with Rick that he's not just about getting paid for his services, but that he enjoys working through problems and finding creative solutions for his clients. Also, I highly recommend the Johnstone Adams, LLC systems and processes. Shelly and Cathy were on top of things. I give Rick and Johnstone Adams more than five stars.”