Our attorneys provide comprehensive legal and regulatory advice to hospitals and healthcare providers in South Alabama and the Gulf Coast region. We provide our healthcare clients with prompt, personal service from experienced lawyers – whether it’s a small, everyday matter, a major transaction or complex litigation.
Our full-service healthcare practice advises clients on cutting-edge issues, including the latest developments in Medicaid expansion, uncompensated care issues and the Affordable Care Act. We also counsel them on HIPAA, certificates of need, discharge issues, privilege, confidentiality, electronic health records, state and federal regulatory issues and the National Practitioner Data Bank. We handle litigation and other adversarial proceedings. And we have extensive experience representing hospitals in large transactions, including acquisition of physician practices.
In addition to regional and local hospitals, our healthcare clients include the largest not-for-profit healthcare provider in Alabama, physicians, long-term care facilities, mental healthcare facilities, healthcare systems and networks, rehabilitation hospitals, home health agencies and management services organizations.
CAN HELP YOU?
Snapshot of Strengths
We have more than 100 years of collective experience successfully representing healthcare clients on a wide range of issues. Our expertise includes:
HIPAA security and privacy
Affordable Care Act
Physician practices acquisition
State and federal regulatory issues
Medical staff credentialing
Medical staff bylaws
Managed care contracting
Certificates of need
Medical records issues
Tax exemption issues
Medicare fraud and abuse
In-house general counsel
Overcoming new challenges
Sweeping legislation and regulatory changes in the healthcare industry have an ongoing and evolving impact on the way hospitals and healthcare providers offer care, recruit medical staff, ensure patient privacy and run their businesses.
Our healthcare lawyers are committed to staying on top of these changes and advising clients on the best way forward. We are nimble enough to respond quickly to everyday issues and, yet, we have the knowledge and resources to handle major litigation and complex transactions.
This flexibility, experience and responsiveness are the hallmarks of our practice and the reason so many hospitals and major healthcare providers look to us for guidance.
Practice Group Attorneys
- Assisted an integrated healthcare network in the acquisition and sale of several rural hospitals in southwest Alabama.
- Serve as general counsel for a number of hospitals, including a large integrated healthcare network.
- Advise numerous hospital clients on tax law and hospital law on an ongoing basis.
- Advised clients in connection with the acquisition of a large number of physician practices.
- Represented a major hospital competing for a certificate of need for nursing home beds, obtaining favorable rulings by an administrative agency, a fair hearing officer and the appellate court.
- Obtained a favorable decision from the CON Review Board on behalf of a nursing home seeking approval of a certificate of need to expand.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a hospital in litigation involving an EEOC Commissioner’s sexual harassment/discrimination charge.
- Represented a hospital system in connection with the purchase and sale of hospitals.
What Our Clients are Saying
“Johnstone Adams was a great help when it came to drawing up our family’s will and advanced directives prior to the birth of our first son. These are certainly things that no one wants to think about, but the process was easy. They were professional and knowledgeable, answering all of our questions along the way with compassion and sensitivity. Johnstone Adams responded quickly to any questions and was easy to get in touch with! We would highly recommend them for any legal work!!”
“My wife and I approached Johnstone Adams to help us make a better informed decision regarding her immigration. They have been a truly invaluable asset. They brought their knowledge, experience, confidence, and calm demeanor to the process, which put our minds at ease. The worry and anxiety that we were facing melted away, and we have been, literally, hand-held during this daunting process. We can’t thank or recommend Johnstone Adams enough and look forward to continuing to use their services in the future.”
“I am currently using this law firm and they are informative, keeping me up to date with my case, and they return your calls/emails immediately. I am very satisfied.”